Australia, its history and fascinating information
A brief history
Human beings are believed to have arrived in Australia about 40,000 years ago from Southeast Asia. They are the very first residents, called aborigines and they have descendant still these days ( Source eta for Australia ). The population was around a million prior to the European settlement and today about 350,000 people stay in Australia.The Dutch sighted Australia in the year 1606 as the British landed in 1688. However it was Captain James Cooks maiden voyage that claimed the territory for Great Britain. A British colony was established in 1788 with about 161,000 English convicts moved and stayed there. Former criminals and free settlers established six colonies which grew to become states later. In 1901 these colonies were federated into the Commonwealth of Australia and a constitution was introduced that included the US federal traditions and British parliamentary.
Some exciting facts about Australia
Australia is counted among the most one of a kind areas in the world. From the crazy Aussie laws, that might still exist, to the odd wild life, this continent is filled with odd and awesome stuff. Although you might have heard of some of the Australia facts, you may find here something new. So here are a few exciting information about Australia
- 1. About 80% of Australian creatures are unique – Some of the interesting animals in the world can be found in Australia that includes marsupials, kangaroos, koalas, platypus, and a variety of birds. You could find them in zoos or parks and can even find them in the wild.
- 2. The vast rock Uluru extends up to 2.5 km underground – Uluru is sacred to the aboriginal tribes and it has been listed by UNESCO as a heritage site. Incredibly about 2.5 km of this rock is thought to be underground and connected to the Olgas which emerges 16 milesaway.
- 3. Over 60 wine regions – Going to Australia and not trying wine may not be a good option, but with such a wide range it will be difficult to choose among them. There are lots of vineyards stretched over the continent and you can reach those places to enjoy the unique landscape.
- 4. Largest eco-system in the world – The Great Barrier Reef comprises of about 2500 reefs which are noticeable from place. Scuba diving and snorkeling among the turtles and colorful fishes are the primary highlights for a visit to Australia.
- 5. More snow than Swiss Alps – While many people check out Australia for excellent beaches, skiing lovers visit the Australian Alps. Snowfall begins in June and continues till September which makes the place exquisite for skiing.
- 6. Worlds largest sand island – The sandy shores are the spotlight of Fraser Island, so jump on a boat and discover the delights of this heaven. It great to find a dingo and this island has around 150 of them. Keep a safe distance since they are wild and aggressive.
- 7. Worlds greatest war memorial – Picturesque and stunning landscapes along the way will get you mesmerized while traveling on the Great Ocean Road. The road was developed as a memorial by the soldiers going back to their land after World War – 1.
So these were some of the intriguing facts about Australia and if you wish to experience more of such incredible stuff, pack your bag and visit this great place.